We are your one stop West Deerfield chimney shop!
- We eliminate the guesswork. And provide our customers cutting edge West Deerfield chimney repair technology.
- We are clean. And ensure our footwear never touches your floors. Our industrial vacuums collect the dust before it gets into your home while our trained technician sweeps and inspects the chimney flue.
- You are safe! We document every job with before and after photos, and the lead technician on the job is always certified. We also test for excess levels of carbon monoxide at no additional cost to you. Our West Deerfield company is about making your home safe.
We begin with a West Deerfield chimney inspection—which is one of the most important chimney services we offer, and one of the most misunderstood. The inspection determines the status of your chimney. We have created a page where specifics are listed. We are CSIA certified.
When is a Chimney Repair Not Enough?
Your chimney isn't properly protected. Making sure that your top plate and rain cap remain in good condition, to prevent moisture from running into the chimney. Rodents, tree limbs and severe weather can all damage these.
Another option to prevent moisture and acid buildup from putting such heavy wear-and-tear on your chimney are chimney flue liners. These products range from smooth wall liners that prevent moisture and acid from attaching to interior chimney walls at all to simple protective devices that catch that residue.
The bottom line: No matter what kind of chimney you have, regular inspections can help give you peace of mind. Visually inspect exterior walls, bricks and mortar for signs of cracking. Use your fingers to see if mortar remains firmly in place, or chunks away. For interior chimney inspections, consider a using an inspection mirror with a telescopic handle. Coupled with a flashlight, the mirror will help you conduct a visual inspection and spot any signs of cracking.
- Chimney Repairs - Chimneys are essential for ventilating smoke away from your home. Structural damages to chimneys can be repaired and the color can be matched to hide traces of the repair work.
- Concrete Restoration - This is a crucial aspect where damages to the concrete surfaces are restored with the use of latest technology and equipment. These damages can occur from accidents or as a result of the elements in our region, wind, rain, snow and ice.
Chimney repairs may seem like something you don't have to address immediately. A small crack may appear cosmetic, and you may not want to pay for them because you think they may be too costly; especially right now with Christmas right around the corner. However, it's also right before the weather turns cold and it's in cold weather that you will use your fireplace more than any other time of year. You can also rest assured that if you do not take care of chimney repairs immediately, they will become more costly than you could ever imagine.
Why Chimney Repairs Are Important
The first step to determining if the flashing is the cause of the leak is to examine the chimney. The weakest points of the chimney are the top and sides. These are the areas that face the greatest UV and weather exposure, and therefore damage. Since is better protected, you will notice the side facing the ground does not have flashing. Inspect the base area for cracks or areas of water penetration.
The brick and mortar will expand and contract with seasonal change. Since the mortar is not elastomeric, this expansion and contraction can cause cracks. In addition, mortar is very porous and absorbs water that will freeze in cold climates. This freezing and thawing will destroy the mortar joint causing a potential leak and degrading the structural integrity of the chimney over time. Inspect the mortar joints for cracks.
If there are cracks in the chimney use a clear exterior elastomeric caulk to seal the cracks. You can also use an exterior masonary waterproofing sealant to coat the entire chimney. Be sure to use a clear elastomeric waterproofing sealant to maintain the color of the brick and mortar.