We are your one stop Sylvan Lake chimney shop!
- We eliminate the guesswork. And provide our customers cutting edge Sylvan Lake chimney repair technology.
- We are clean. And ensure our footwear never touches your floors. Our industrial vacuums collect the dust before it gets into your home while our trained technician sweeps and inspects the chimney flue.
- You are safe! We document every job with before and after photos, and the lead technician on the job is always certified. We also test for excess levels of carbon monoxide at no additional cost to you. Our Sylvan Lake company is about making your home safe.
We begin with a Sylvan Lake chimney inspection—which is one of the most important chimney services we offer, and one of the most misunderstood. The inspection determines the status of your chimney. We have created a page where specifics are listed. We are CSIA certified.
When selecting your next chimney sweep look for these five qualifications
1. Before starting working on a chimney, make certain that the fire has long burned out.
2. The first thing you need to do is to measure the interior diameter of the metal or prefabricated chimney by removing the chimney cap with measuring tape. In case you have masonry chimney design, gauge the length and width of the flue liner. Take a moderate length chimney brush according to the calculated measures. The brush should neither be too small nor too large.
3. Stiff bristled brush and rods are ideal for chimney cleaning. These are easily available at any hardware stores.
4. To prevent ash or soot escaping into the room, use duct tape or masking tape to attach the cloth or sheet to the fireplace opening.
5. Change your clothes and climb up to the roof top. Don't forget to keep your chimney rods, flashlight and brush with you before climbing on the roof. Wear goggles and breathing mask as well.
6. If your chimney contains cap, remove it and clean it with the brush.
7. Attach few rods with brush and put it inside the chimney. Keep adding rods until you feel that the brush is touching the damper assembly.
8. Now you are ready to clean the flue. Move brush in up and down direction and scrape it against the walls of the chimney. Remove all the creosote (in form of ash, soot or as black shiny hardened gaze or a black crunchy substance).
9. Clean the whole length of the chimney in the same way. Afterwards take a flashlight and examine the chimney for any signs of creosote.
10. If you find chimney clean from the top side, come down and proceed to clean the chimney from inside the home. Remove the sheet or cloth you attach before. Keep a drop cloth on the site where your will have to work. Clean the damper assembly and the side walls of the chimney with brush. Examine any remaining of the creosote with flashlight.
11. Now clean the surrounding of the fireplace with vacuum or simply sweep it with broom. Remove the drop cloth carefully. Now is the time to rub your equipment clean from creosote. Remove your goggles and breathing mask. Place the equipment at its storage place for future cleaning.
12. Don't forget to inspect your chimney for any damage signs while cleaning process. If you find any, consult professionals.
13. If mortar is loose or damage, clear it and apply new mortar on the surface. Cracks can also be filled with mortar. It is recommended to use weather resistant mortar to give long life to your chimney.
14. Inspect the flashing seals for any damage. Use caulk to prevent any leakage, especially at the joints between chimney and flashing.
- Always use breathing mask and eye safety goggles while working on chimney.
- Be careful about the surroundings while working on the roof top.
Maintenance and masonry repair work along with concrete restoration of your home becomes a herculean task due to several factors involved. Problems like spalled bricks are tough to repair. You need expert workmanship to undertake these crucial tasks as the safety and security of structural architecture depends on successful restoration work. For every homeowner, one's home is their most proud possession and its timely maintenance saves from serious damages in the future. Restoration work typically consists of removal of damaged parts and restoration with appropriate matching materials and style to offer a uniform appearance. Some important tasks covered under the masonry restoration are:
Caps: Chimney caps keep water and animals out of your flue. Both can cause major damage and prevent your chimney from drawing correctly, so it's important to have a cap installed. We highly recommend screened caps to keep birds, bats, and other animals out.
If your fireplace is damaged, it's also important to have it repaired immediately. While many fireplace repair issues are simply aesthetic, you don't want to take any chances! Structural and other safety risks are possible with a damaged fireplace, so be sure your chimney professional inspects and repairs your fireplace as well as your chimney.
For safe fireplace function, have an annual fireplace and chimney inspection. By following through with all recommended repairs, you can rest easy knowing that your fireplace and chimney pose no danger to your home or your family!
How to Seal Chimney Flashing
A chimney is probably one of the most ignored and poorly maintained structures on a home mainly because of lack of access and most people have a fear of heights.
Things to watch for if your chimney is having problems is crumbling mortar joints, cracked or broken brick, a cracked or missing crown on top of the chimney, a leaning chimney(which is really bad) and water damage inside your home around the chimney. You should contact a chimney repair or mason contractor to fix your chimney problems.
But if you are up to the challenge here is what you will need to do, first depending on how bad it is most chimney problems can be fixed with a little chimney tuckpointing. You will first need a good grinder, not a cheap $20 on either, buy a dewalt or hitatchi for about $120.00 then you will also need a good diamond 4 inch wheel to go on it, they will run you about $65.00.
Start by grinding out every mortar joint as deep as you can get the blade in, be sure to wear safety glasses and a mask if not you will regret it later. After all the joints have been ground out take your brush and clean out all the joints thoroughly. Now you will need to mix your mortar, after it is mixed it is easiest to use a grout bag to fill the joints, which resembles a large cake decorating bag if you dont know what one is. Be sure you mix is fluid enough to flow through bag but not too wet where it has no body or else you will have a huge mess on your hands. Depending on temperature you have to check your joints frequently to see if they are ready to be struck with a striking iron or a rake.
After you have struck or raked your joints brush them down to remove loose mortar and clean up the chimney. Next check the concrete cap, if it is cracked then it should be replaced and a new one should be poured in its place that is alteast 4 inches thick. After that task is completed check the chimney flashing and be sure it is installed correctly and is hole and crack free or it may need to be caulked up or replaced. Then clean up your roof with a broom or hose but if using water try not to spray your chimney till its dry.
That's pretty much how a brick tuckpointing job is done for an existing chimney, if you are unsure of any of the above task you really should have a mason contractor do the work for you.
- Chimney Rebuild - In case of severe damage to chimney, you can get it rebuilt with adequate precaution to match its external appearance and surroundings.
During repairs and restoration, you can use creativity to bring refreshing changes. Use of cultured stones or artificial stone veneer can add a special look to existing walls. The use of these stones change the appearance of the usual contemporary design. In addition, masonry openings for windows and doors can be created complementing the new appearance of your home. Ideas are plenty; all you need is a perfect contractor with a good team with skill and lots of creativity. Redefine your home's identity with immaculate, creative redesigning or repair your brickwork to maintain its integrity. Gear up and get ready for the best concrete restoration.